RSA Online Course Melbourne

RSA Melbourne Online

Responsible Service of Alcohol (RSA) Certification for Licensees and Staff

CHT Melbourne offers one of Victoria’s most affordable RSA courses at only $45. If you are interested, register for one of our virtual classroom classes today.

Frequently Asked Questions

How long is the RSA course?

The RSA course is four hours long and classes are available nearly every day.

Do I need to renew my RSA?

For your RSA certificate to remain valid, you will need to complete the approved VCGLR online refresher course every three years.

Who should have an RSA?

It is a requirement for most licensees and staff selling, offering or serving alcohol to hold a current RSA certificate.

What are the benefits of getting an RSA?

  • Ability to work as a bartender, event staff or manage licensed premises
  • Set up policies and obligations for staff to best manage customers’ health and safety
  • Understanding of the law, and, particularly, state laws surrounding alcohol
  • Learn how to approach difficult or disorderly customers

What are some of the jobs you can get with an RSA?

Having your RSA certificate opens you up for more responsibility and new roles in the hospitality industry. A few roles that use an RSA are:

  • Bar staff
  • Event staff
  • Bottle shop attendant
  • Security staff
  • Manager at licensed spaces

It also allows you to be versatile in roles like waiting, food handling and any customer facing roles. If you like flexibility in your job, an RSA can only help with this.

What does the RSA course cover?

The RSA course will include all necessary learnings for individuals working with and selling alcohol. The course covers:

  • Problems associated with excessive consumption
  • Alcohol and the law
  • The question of who is responsible for RSA
  • Facts about alcohol
  • Strategies for responsible service
  • Refusal of service and handling difficult customers

Is an RSA valid across the country?

Different states have different obligations surrounding service of alcohol, so it is possible if you wish to work across multiple states that you may need to undertake a state specific RSA or bridging course.

Pair your RSA with our available courses

If you are looking to extend your skillset or learn more about hospitality, we have available courses that include the RSA certificate.

  • Our bartending course gives you the knowledge to serve drinks, mix cocktails and provide exceptional customer service in a bar or pub.
  • Our Certificate IV in Hospitality is a nationally accredited course that can help you add skills and experience to get into a career in a cafe, restaurant, pub, or other venue.
  • Our Hospitality Package is a great way to get a holistic view of all areas of hospitality, including barista skills, serving drinks and responsible handling of food.

Information for Studying online

Can I get an RSA online?

Face-to-face RSA training is mandatory however during the declared state of emergency (COVID-19) the approved training delivery method has been revised to include interactive video chat or virtual classroom technology. Provided you have completed the course with an approved provider, you will receive your certificate in the days after you have completed your class.

CHT Virtual Classes

In the current climate CHT has been approved to offer the RSA course through a virtual classroom environment. Whilst there are several courses for which face-to-face instruction is required, all face-to-face classes are restricted to limited number of people and social distancing practices are maintained. Where possible CHT is offering virtual classes that allow you to take on all necessary study without leaving your home. We also offer infection control training for customer-facing workers.

Enquire with CHT about our hospitality courses

CHT offers vocational education and training predominantly for the hospitality industry. If you are interested in enrolling in a course or enrolling your team members in a course, call the CHT team today on 03 9654 1554.